Social media is one of the easiest ways to get traffic as a blogger, but not if you don’t have any followers! There are plenty of easy & free ways you can grow your following on social media to increase your influence as a blogger and hopefully get more traffic on your blog.
Brands are usually more interested in working with bloggers with a large social media following as well!
If you like this video, please subscribe to my YouTube channel! New episodes in my Blogging For Beginners Series are uploaded every Monday.
Finding your target audience
Before you decide what social media platforms to focus on, you have to decide who your target audience is. Answer the following questions for yourself:
- who am I writing my content for?
- How old is my audience?
- What is their gender?
- Where do they live/what is their household income?
- What value are they getting our of my blog posts (& social media)?
Creating a persona can also be helpful when you’re deciding on your target audience. This is a fictional person that represents your audience, and you can keep them in mind when you’re making social media posts.
Finding out what works
Many social media platforms now offer some sort of analytics to review how well your efforts to grow your following are working. Instagram now has business pages (connect your account to your public facebook page) and although it isn’t incredibly extensive, it’s still helpful. Twitter and Facebook also have an integrated analytics feature. For platforms that don’t offer (extensive) analytics, there are external programs to check out. Talkwalker is one of the better ones.
Instead of waiting until your blog followers head over to your social media by themselves, work on both! Other tips & tricks to try:
- Tweet out your snapcode and post it on your blog.
- Do giveaways. I don’t recommend this for small/new bloggers because it’s very fickle and you need a bit of a following to make it work, but as soon as you”e grown a bit of an audience you can start dipping into them.
- If you want to tweet something with more than 140 characters, reply to your own tweet! Your tweets will show up together in people’s timeline.
- Schedule your tweets! I like to schedule multiple tweets of the same blog post throughout the week so I get maximum exposure.
Make sure to have fun with it all, and connect to your audience! Be real and raw, share your thoughts and (sometimes) opinions, it’ll help you out & be fun!